Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Little teeny tiny updates

I feel like I should post because it's been a day or two, but I have nothing new in my brain to say at this moment.

Here is what is in my brain right now:

1. Still playing the waiting game on the new job. They said it would be 4-6 business days before I heard, and today is day six so I called them today just to check on the status of things and no one answered. A message was left.

2. I am getting my hurr did today and am very excited. It has been at least a year and a half since I've touched my hair with scissors and it desperately needs it. I've never seen it this bad. My ends are so fried that my normally curly hair has almost two inches of straight-ness at the bottom. I'm not sure if that paints a good visual picture, but that's the best I can come up with.  It looks really weird.

3. Speaking of things that look weird, check out this picture Jo sent me of Ricky and I. It was taken the other night at Shayda's birthday. I look pretty.


4. I attempted homemade gnocchi for the second time in my life, and while it was not inedible, it was not the best gnocchi ever. My Hungarian goulash also left a lot to be desired. My goal was to replicate, to the best of my abilities, my favorite meal ever; which is the lamb stew with gnocchi at Cantanetta in Wallingford. Obviously lamb stew and Hungarian goulash are not the same, but with how tough the meat ended up being, it wasn't even close. And while Cantanetta's gnocchi is like heaven melting in your mouth , my gnocchi was much more dumpling-like. Which wasn't bad - I think we all had seconds - but it wasn't what I was going for. Most of the time I think I'm pretty awesome at cooking, but then there are times like this that remind me I have a lot to learn still. My theory on this gnocchi thing is that there is more to it than can be gleaned from just reading a recipe. I think I need to borrow someone's direct-from-the-old-country Italian grandmother to teach me how to do it right. 

5. Speaking of recipes, would anyone be interested in reading about what I cook? I know my official cooking blog was a failure, but I think I could handle posting about it once in awhile. Let me know! I might just do it anyways, in spite of what the verdict is. 

So that's that. 
Ciao! 


No comments:

Post a Comment